What Is Play-Based Learning?
Source: https://www.unicef.org/sites/default/files/2018-12/UNICEF-Lego-Foundation-Learning-through-Play.pdf. Adapted from Zosh, Jennifer N., et al. Learning through play: a review of the evidence. LEGO Foundation, 2017.
At Orchard Ridge Nursery School, you’ll hear us mention our play-based learning curriculum. But what does this mean in practice?
First and foremost, children need to feel like they have control over their play. They need to feel like they are involved in what activities they choose. This is why all our teachers take the interest of their students in mind when organizing their daily routines.
But beyond that, play-based learning has the following things in common:
1. Play is Meaningful
Play helps children make sense of the world around them. It also helps children solve problems in imaginative and playful ways.
Here are some examples in which a play-based curriculum is meaningful:
- It expands a child’s ability to retain information
- It helps a child learn how to strategize (learn how to plan, implement the plan, and change the plan if necessary)
- It helps a child learn perspective-taking skills
- It expands a child’s ability to follow instructions
2. Play is Joyful
Play should be a pleasant experience. It should motivate the children to want to keep on playing.
3. Play is Actively Engaging
4. Play is Iterative
5. Play is Socially Interactive
Tips For Finding A School
Here are some useful tips for finding a quality play-based preschool:
- It will have both indoor and outdoor play
- It will integrate the child’s natural interests into the daily routines
- It will have a variety of play spaces within the room
- It will allow the children time to have a choice over what to play with during the day
- It will allow children the ability to play for long periods without interruption
- It will allow children to play both with others and by themselves
Click here to learn more about enrolling at Orchard Ridge Nursery School.
COVID Safety Plan
Click here to see how ORNS keeps your child safe during this time of COVID.
Click here to view the academic, snack, and event calendars.
Click here to learn about a variety of things related to ORNS. You’ll find our monthly newsletters, helpful tips to make your preschool experience better, as well as general announcements.
Click here to learn about the annual events at ORNS each year.